Plan admins and Group Managers of Starter, Team, and Business plans can create and manage groups of plan members in Dashlane. After a group is created, members of the group can share logins and Secure Notes with other members of the group.
Note: Groups managed with Active Directory (AD) and SCIM override changes made to sharing groups in Dashlane.
What is group sharing?
The group sharing feature is exclusive to Dashlane Starter, Team, and Business plans. Admins and Group Managers can organize their plan members into groups and create a more secure and efficient sharing experience for their organization. Admins and Group Managers can create groups based on departments or their organization's specific needs. Plan members, admins, and Group Managers who are part of sharing groups can share items in the groups. Group sharing creates an organized environment for secure information and saves time when onboarding and offboarding employees.
Why use group sharing?
Unlike emails and text messages, Dashlane's Sharing Center is a secure way to share data.
When you share a login or sensitive information by email, the email provider copies the plain text data to these locations:
- The Sent folder in your email provider's inbox
- The Sent folder on all other devices connected to your inbox
- Your email provider's servers
- Your recipient’s email provider's servers which may include several different locations and data centers
- Your recipient's computers or devices
Instant messaging apps also aren't secure. Your data is sent in plain text over the network, and the service often saves your conversations in the application's history.
Dashlane's secure sharing feature encrypts your data with the best encryption system available before the data is sent over the internet.
- To create a group, go to the Groups tab in the Admin Console and select the dark green + New group icon.
- Enter a group name and select OK. If a group with that name already exists, the group appears. If you create a new group, the name must be unique.
- To rename a group, select the group you want to rename in the Groups tab in the Admin Console.
- Then on the next page, select the group's name again to populate the editing field.
- Enter a new group name and press the Enter key.
- To delete a group, select that group in the Groups tab in the Admin Console. Each group name is unique and case-sensitive.
- Then on the next page, select Delete Group.
- Enter the name of the group you want to delete and select Delete.
Important: Admins and Group Managers can't recover deleted groups. If an admin or Group Manager accidentally deletes a group, they have to recreate the group and invite plan members to the new group. Then members can reshare logins within the new group.
If a group is deleted, only the original login owner retains the login.
Manage group members
Invite group members
- To invite group members, open the Groups tab in the Admin Console and select the group you want to invite members to.
- On the next page, select the dark green + Add members icon.
- Enter the email addresses of the members you want to invite and select Add. The members receive an email notification. The members either accept or deny the invitation to the group within the Dashlane app's Sharing Center.
Group Managers can add new members to groups if seats are available on their plan, but they can't make changes to billing or add seats to the plan themselves.
Admins and Group Managers aren't required to be members of the groups they create. If they want to be part of a group, they need to invite their own email address to the group.
Plan members only receive an email to join a group. Members won't receive additional communications when items are shared with that group. Those items are accepted automatically in the groups and the members' accounts after the items are shared.
View invite status
- To view invitation statuses for each group, open the Groups tab in the Admin Console and select the group you want to view.
- On the next page, the email addresses of all group members appear. After members accept the invitation, admins and Group Managers can also view the status of the invite or the role of the member within the plan. When a group invite hasn't been accepted or declined, the status is Pending.
After a plan member accepts, the member is listed as a member in the sharing group. The role listed isn't related to the role within the plan but with the role in the group itself. If the group member declines the invite, the member is removed from the group. Any acceptance or decline prompts an email to the plan's admin or Group Manager.
You can invite a member again in case they didn't receive the invitation. Find the member in the list, select the trash can icon, and select Remove user. Next, select the dark green + Add members icon and enter their email addresses.
If members don't receive emails from Dashlane, add the domain "dashlane.com" to your email allowed list.
Remove group members
- To remove group members from a group, open the Groups tab in the Admin Console and select the group you want to view.
- On the next page, find the member in the list and select the trash can icon. To confirm, select Remove user.
Share items within groups
After a group is created, members of the group can share logins and Secure Notes with other members of the group. If you can’t find the group you want to share with, check that you’re a member of that group.