With the group sharing feature, members and admins of Starter, Team, and Business plans can easily and efficiently share logins and Secure Notes. Admins can more easily onboard new plan members and make sure they have the necessary logins.
What is group sharing?
The group sharing feature is exclusive to Dashlane Starter, Team, and Business plans. Admins can organize their plan members into groups and create a more secure and efficient sharing experience for their organizations. Admins can create groups based on departments or their organization's specific needs. Plan members and admins who are part of sharing groups can share items in the groups. Group sharing creates an organized environment for an organization's secure information and saves time when onboarding and offboarding employees.
Why use group sharing?
Unlike emails and text messages, Dashlane's Sharing Center is a secure way to share data.
When you share a login or sensitive information by email, the email provider copies the plain text data to these locations:
- The Sent folder in your email provider's inbox
- The Sent folder on all other devices connected to your inbox
- Your email provider's servers
- Your recipient’s email provider's servers which may include several different locations and data centers
- Your recipient's computers or devices
Instant messaging apps also aren't secure. Your data is sent in plain text over the network, and the service often saves your conversations in the application history.
Dashlane's secure sharing feature encrypts your data with the best encryption system available before the data is sent over the internet.
To use group sharing, you need to have a Dashlane account and be a Starter, Team, or Business plan member. Note that group sharing was designed strictly to work for groups created within your own Starter, Team, or Business plan and not with your other Starter, Team, Business, Premium, or Free plans.
First, admins need to create one or more groups, then add plan members to the groups before the members can share. If you can’t find the group you want to share with, first verify that you’re a member of that group.
- To create a group, admins navigate to the Groups tab within the Admin Console and select the dark green + New group icon.
- Next, enter a group name and select OK. If a group with that name already exists, the group appears. Note that group names need to be unique.
- To rename a group, select the group you want to rename in the Groups tab in the Admin Console.
- Then on the next page, select the group's name again to populate the editing field.
- Enter a new group name and press the Enter key.
- To delete a group, select that group in the Groups tab in the Admin Console.
- Then on the next page, select Delete Group.
- Enter the name of the group you want to delete and select Delete. The extra step is done as a precaution to prevent accidental deletion of groups. Note that group names are case-sensitive.
Important: Admins can't recover deleted groups. If an admin accidentally deletes a group, the admin has to recreate the group and invite plan members to the new group. Then members can reshare logins within the new group.
If a group is deleted, only the original login owner retains the login.
Manage group members
Invite group members
- To invite group members, open the Groups tab in the Admin Console and select the group you want to invite members to.
- On the next page, select the dark green + Add members icon.
- Enter the email addresses of the members you want to invite and select Add. The members receive an email notification. The members either accept or deny the invitation to the group within the Dashlane app's Sharing Center.
Because admins aren't required to be members of all groups, admins need to enter their email address during the member invite process so they're added to the group.
Plan members only receive an email to join a group. Members won't receive additional communications when items are shared with that group. Those items are accepted automatically in the groups and the members' accounts after the items are shared.
View invite status
- To view invitation statuses for each group, open the Groups tab in the Admin Console and select the group you want to view.
- On the next page, the email addresses of all group members appear. After members accept the invitation, you can also view the status of the invite or the role of the member within the plan. When a group invite hasn't been accepted or declined, the status is Pending.
After a plan member accepts, the member is listed as a member in the sharing group. Note that the role listed isn't related to the role within the plan but with the role in the group itself. If the group member declines the invite, the member is removed from the group. Any group member acceptance or decline prompts an email to the plan's admin.
You can invite a member again in case they didn't receive the invitation. Find the member in the list, select the trash can icon, and select Remove user. Next, select the dark green + Add members icon and enter their email address.
If members don't receive emails from Dashlane, add the domain "dashlane.com" to your email allowed list.
Revoke group members
- To revoke group members from a group, open the Groups tab in the Admin Console and select the group you want to view.
- On the next page, find the member in the list and select the trash can icon. To confirm, select Remove user.
Share items within groups
After your groups are set up, you can share items within groups. Group members and admins can share items in Dashlane.