If you’re a plan member of a Team or Business plan, account recovery can help you and your admin recover your account if you forget your Master Password. This article explains how plan members can turn on and use the account recovery setting.
Turn account recovery on or off
Before you can turn on account recovery for your plan member account, your admin has to enable the setting for your plan.
Even after account recovery is enabled, you still need to turn on the setting for your account so you can use it if you forget your Master Password.
If your admin recently enabled account recovery since the last time you logged in, you'll see a notification prompting you to turn it on, Activate Account Recovery, or keep it off, Not now.
You can also turn it on or off anytime in your settings:
- Select the Dashlane D icon in your browser’s toolbar and enter your Master Password if prompted. Then, in the extension pop-up, select Open the web app.
- Select My account, Settings, and then Security settings.
- Turn on or off Account recovery.
Note: If you don’t see this option, your admin hasn’t enabled account recovery for your plan.
Important! To make an account recovery request, you have to use a browser that you’ve already authorized. If you reinstall the Dashlane browser extension or clear your cookies on your browser, we recommend logging back into Dashlane right away to authorize that browser so you can use it to make an account recovery request in the future.
Request an account recovery if you forgot your Master Password
You can request an account recovery from your admin if your admin has enabled it for your plan and you turned it on before you forgot your Master Password.
- You can only request an account recovery from the Dashlane web app. It's not available on the mobile app.
- To make an account recovery request, use a browser you’ve already authorized. Your browser is no longer authorized if you reinstalled the Dashlane extension or cleared your cookies without logging back in.
- If you’re using Firefox, Chrome, or a Chromium-based browser such as Opera and Brave, the Dashlane extension must be version 6.2121.1 or later. Account recovery isn’t available on Safari.
- Use one browser to request your account recovery and log in with your new Master Password, after it’s been approved. Account recovery doesn’t work if you switch browsers during the process.
Use these steps to request an account recovery if you forgot your Master Password:
- Select the Dashlane D icon in your browser’s toolbar and select Forgot password?
- Enter the code sent to your email or the token sent to your 2-factor authentication (2FA) app and select Verify.
- Enter a new Master Password and select Create password.
All plan admins receive an account recovery request. After an admin approves your request, you can move on to the next step.
After your request is approved, you receive an email. In the email, select Log in to Dashlane and enter the new Master Password you created. Please note that you'll need to log in using the same device used on the previous steps.
You recover complete access to your Dashlane account. However, you have to reauthorize your devices and browsers.More about authorized devices and browsers