You can turn off Dashlane Autofill on any page or website. Dashlane will no longer automatically log you into a website or autofill sensitive information that you don't want to be added.
Although we do our best to handle all websites, you might come across some websites where the form fields aren't properly recognized. As a result, Dashlane may not be able to log you in automatically or save your information. This article provides some ways you can fix this issue.
If you run into autofill issues with the web forms on a website you built or manage, you can optimize the HTML to work better with Dashlane.
Turn off autofill
You can turn off autofill for a specific form field, a single page in a website, or an entire website.
Turn off autofill for a webpage or website
If Dashlane behaves in a way you don't expect or you don't want Dashlane to display the autofill menu with your data, you can turn off autofill for one unique web page, the entire website, or a unique form field. Although then you prevent Dashlane from offering to autofill your personal info—name, phone number, address, email—you're still able to log into the website automatically.
Turn off autofill:
- Go to the page or site where you want to turn off autofill.
- Select the Dashlane D extension icon in your browser.
- In the extension menu, select the Autofill tab to access the Autofill settings.
- Choose either This entire website or This page only to control the autofill settings for the entire website or a particular webpage.
- Choose an option:
- Everything: Have Dashlane working fully
- Only usernames and passwords: Autofill login information only
- Don't autofill on this website: Completely turns off autofill for this website or page
If you turn off autofill for the entire website, autofill won't work on any website page for that particular website.
Note: If you've turned off autofill for an entire website and Dashlane still autofills that particular website, try clearing the browser cache and cookies.
Turn autofill back on:
- Choose the Everything option. Remember to choose this option for both This page only or This entire website to get Dashlane to autofill your data again.
Turn off autofill for a specific form field
To turn off autofill for specific form field:
- Place your cursor in the field to see the Dashlane pop-up.
- Select the 3-dot menu to turn off autofill for a specific field on a website.
- To temporarily turn off autofill for that particular field, select Pause for this visit. However, if you revisit or refresh this page, the Dashlane D appears again because this option only temporarily turns off autofill for this visit.
- To permanently turn off autofill for a particular form field, select Pause until I turn it back on. Dashlane won't autofill this field until you choose to revert the setting. A pop-up appears. You can continue.
Turn on autofill again
If you've permanently turned off autofill for a particular form field, you can revert and use autofill again. Use these steps to also verify which fields you've turned off.
- When you visit the website, select the Dashlane D icon in your browser to open the extension and select the Autofill tab.
- Select Revert to turn on autofill again. Close the website and open the website again. The Dashlane D icon appears in the field again.
Fix issues with autofill on a specific site
Correct and customize autofill in your browser
Sometimes you may come across a website or page that Dashlane can't or didn't analyze properly. You can change the type of information you want to autofill. The next time you come to the site, Dashlane autofills the information you chose.
Steps to correct autofill:
- Place your cursor in the field to see the Dashlane pop-up and select the 3-dot menu.
- Choose the Autofill something else option. Select the type of information that Dashlane will use to autofill your data. Dashlane will remember your selection.
In the example, the form field had two options for autofill: the phone number and the email address.
Dashlane automatically chose to use the email address. If you want to autofill the mobile number instead, select the Personal info information type and the Phone number. Dashlane applies the change immediately.
- You can't choose the actual data that Dashlane will autofill, only the type of data. As usual, Dashlane suggests autofill data based on the information in your Dashlane account.
- When you choose a new information type, Dashlane remembers the change on that device and browser and stores these personal preferences in your browser's cache.
- In the list of data types, you can choose the Nothing option. If you choose this option, Dashlane will no longer autofill your data in this field.
Troubleshoot why autofill isn't working
Go through this quick checklist to see why autofill might not be working the way it's supposed to when autofilling forms or pages:
- Make sure you have the latest version of Dashlane and your browser.
- Make sure Dashlane is working in your browser. You should see the Dashlane icon in your browser, and the icon should be dark green to show you're logged in. For Safari, the icon is dark gray.
- Check that the Dashlane D icon appears in the form fields. A dark Dashlane D means that Dashlane has detected the field and has the data needed to autofill it. If the Dashlane D icons are gray, Dashlane has detected the field but can't find the corresponding data in your Dashlane account.
- Refresh the page and clear the cookies and caches on your browser.
- Log into this site from another browser if possible, or close and reopen your browser.
- Make sure that your browser's password manager isn't overriding Dashlane.
- Check that none of the following situations are true:
- You're using a form with a virtual keyboard, also referred to as an onscreen keyboard. Dashlane provides limited support for these forms. On most websites, if you already have a login in Dashlane, Dashlane autofills your login but can't autofill the password or select the login button because the site wants you to carry out those actions manually.
- You're trying to autofill a captcha code. Dashlane can't autofill captcha codes because these are temporary codes generated by the website.
- You're trying to log into a site using Flash or SilverLight. Right-click the login field to check.
Dashlane won't autofill your information inside an iframe for security reasons, but you can manually trigger it to do so.