Having duplicate logins can lead to you being locked out of an account or negatively affect your experience using Dashlane. Logins become duplicated for various reasons:
- You mistakenly imported a login twice
- When updating a saved password, you accidentally selected "save as new" instead of "replace"
- A sync conflict occurred between your devices
Dashlane will try to merge logins with the same URL, username, and password, but the following steps provide the easiest way to get rid of duplicate logins that don't work. Removing the duplicates helps you avoid getting locked out of your online accounts because of too many failed login attempts.
To clean up duplicate logins:
- Locate duplicate logins by looking through your logins manually or searching for a keyword. Note that unless you specifically changed its name, each login automatically uses the website's domain as its name.
- Uniquely rename each duplicate.
- Go to the corresponding website's login page and place your cursor in the site's username field. Dashlane will show all the possible logins for that website. You can then select each of them to autofill and submit to determine which ones work and which don't.
- Go back to Dashlane and delete the logins that didn't work on the website.