This article will guide an admin through deploying the Dashlane browser extension via GPO. Dashlane recommends letting the first run experience handle the extension install for the users default browser. The GPO deployment method is available if users are prevented from installing the extension themselves.
- Self-service installation
- Chrome browser deployment
- Firefox browser deployment
- Microsoft Edge browser deployment
- Internet Explorer (IE) browser deployment
- Safari browser deployment
Self-service installation (recommended)
The first-run experience for the desktop app will prompt users to install the web extension for their default browser. Admins may choose to install the web extension administratively if the user does not have the ability to install web extensions or to make the first-run experience easier for the user. Most Dashlane Business admins allow the first-run experience to handle the browser extension install.
Users may install extensions for all the browsers they use via the Extensions menu in the Dashlane Windows app, or by going under the Dashlane menu on Mac and selecting "Install browser extensions."
Chrome browser deployment
In your Microsoft Windows Group Policy Editor (Computer or User Configuration folder):
- Download the latest policy template if you have not already
- In Group Policy Editor, create a new GPO for Dashlane Chrome install (or attach it to a current one).
- Go to Administrative Templates > Google > Google Chrome > Extensions.
- Select Configure the list of force-installed apps and extensions
- Enable - Show.. - and enter in the following string. This is the Dashlane extension ID and update URL.
- Click OK and Apply the Group Policy to the desired scope.
Firefox browser deployment
- Download the Firefox ADMX template
- Unzip it and copy the firefox.admx and mozilla.admx files to C:\windows\PolicyDefinitions
- Open the language folder (en-US) for English and copy the downloaded adml files over to the C:\Windows\Policydefinitions\en-US folder
- Open Group Policy Editor > Create a new GPO called 'Firefox - Dashlane' and link it to the domain.
- Disable the link if you are not ready to deploy.
- Edit the Group Policy. User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates.. > Mozilla > Firefox > extensions > Extensions to Install > Enable > Show.. > Enter the following text
- Set the Scope for the group policy and enable it when you are ready to deploy.
Microsoft Edge browser deployment
- The Dashlane Desktop App first-run experience will prompt the user to install the extension for their default browser.
- Microsoft does not have native support for deploying extensions to Edge, 3rd party tools are required. If you are using SCCM you can follow this guide for deploying an extension to Edge.
- The Dashlane Edge extension links are here.
Internet Explorer (IE) browser deployment
For best results, deploy our MSI via GPO or SCCM. This deploys both Dashlane's native Windows application as well as the IE plugin.
As IE support ends on 1/31/2020 we strongly encourage our customers to use modern browsers for the best experience.
- From a Windows Server, open Group Policy Editor
- Create a new Group Policy or link it to an existing one.
- User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Security Features > Add-on List > Enable > Show..
- Enter the following lines of text in the add-on List, including the curly brackets. This is Dashlane's Add-on ID for the toolbar and Browser Helper Object (BHO)
- Apply the policy to the desired scope and enable it.
Safari browser deployment
It is recommended to install the Safari extension as part of the first-run experience on Mac. MacOS security features make it difficult to silently deploy Safari extensions without third-party tools.