The Dashlane web app and extension allow you to autofill your passwords and manage your data, much the same way you do with our desktop apps.
With the web app, you can access Dashlane directly in the browser extension, and open our web app interface to access more features.
Note that the web app is available on Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari. It can also be used on any Chromium-based browser such as Brave or Opera. For more general information about the web app, including instructions on how to install and set it up in your browser, please see here.
- Managing your passwords
- How to manage secure notes, personal info and payments
- How to share credentials and notes
- How to find out how secure your passwords are
- How to use Dark Web Monitoring
- How to manually generate a customized random password
- How to access the web app and manage your Dashlane account
Managing your passwords
Your password Vault is where you can manage your passwords.
To open it, click on the Dashlane icon in your browser. There you can:
- Browse or search your credentials using the search bar at the top
- Sort your credentials either by name, or by "Last used" to show the last used credentials at the top of the list for easy access. To select a different sorting method, just click the current method at the top of the credential list.
- View credential details by clicking the credential in the list
- Edit credentials by clicking the pencil icon that is located at the top left of the credential details view. This will take you to the web app.
- Show passwords by clicking the eye icon in the credential details view
- Access the website corresponding to a specific credential by clicking the Go to website icon (see the image below) that appears when hovering over the entry in the list, or by clicking the same icon that appears when hovering over the website address in the credential details view
- Copy passwords, logins or emails by clicking the corresponding Copy info icon (see the image below) that appears when hovering over the entry in the list, or by clicking the copy button that appears when hovering over the login/email and password in the credential details view
The This website tab allows you to:
- View the different credentials saved in Dashlane for the website you are currently visiting
- Copy passwords, logins or emails by clicking the corresponding Copy info icon (see the image below) that appears when hovering over the entry
- Edit one of these credentials by clicking it in the list. This will take you to the web app.
- Disable Dashlane on a specific webpage or entire website
- Report any issue you might notice in the extension, for instance if Dashlane does not fill a field on a particular webpage
- Manually add a credential, if you do not have one saved in Dashlane for the website you are currently visiting. This will take you to the web app.
The web app allows all the actions that can be performed from the Vault tab of the extension, with some slight differences and a few additional actions. See below for more information on accessing the web app.
In the web app you can:
- Manually add credentials by clicking the green Add new button at the top of the window
- Share credentials (see below for more details)
And in the browser extension you can also directly:
- Browse or search your credentials using the search bar at the top left
- Sort your passwords either by name, by "Last used," or by category, when you click the corresponding column headers
- View and edit credentials either by clicking them in the list or by clicking the three dots on the right of the window and selecting See details
- Show passwords by clicking the eye icon in the credential details view
- Access the website corresponding to a specific credential by clicking the Go to website button that appears when hovering it or by clicking the three dots on the right of the window and selecting Go to website
- Copy the password by clicking the three dots on the right side of the window and selecting Copy password
- Copy the login by clicking the three dots on the right side of the window and selecting Copy login
How to manage secure notes, personal info and payments
Secure notes, personal info and payments can currently only be managed from the web app. See below for how to access the web app.
Manage these by going to the web app, and clicking Secure Notes in the left-hand control panel. There you can:
- Add new notes by clicking the green Add new button at the top of the window
- Browse or search your notes using the search bar at the top left
- Sort your notes either by name, by category, by creation date or by the date they were last updated
- Edit your notes by clicking on them in the list
In the web app, click the Personal info section in the left-hand control panel. There you can:
- Add new info by clicking the green Add new button at the top of the window
- Browse or search your personal info using the search bar at the top left
- Collapse and expand the categories by clicking their header
- Edit your personal info by clicking on what you wish to edit
In the web app, click on Payments in the left-hand control panel. There you can:
- Add new items by clicking the green Add new button at the top of the window
- Browse or search your payments using the search bar at the top left
- Edit your payments by clicking on what you wish to edit
How to share credentials and notes
The web app allows you to securely share credentials and notes with other Dashlane users. Remember, you can share an unlimited number of credentials and notes if you have a Premium or business account, but you are limited to a total of five shared items if you're using the free version of Dashlane.
Share items with other users
There are two different ways of sharing credentials and notes with other Dashlane users. You can share them one by one, or you can share multiple passwords and notes at once.
- One by one, using the Share button that's at the bottom of the window when viewing the credential or note details, next to the Delete button. Enter the email address of the user you wish to share the item with, or else select from the contact list using the search bar if necessary, and set the level of rights you wish to give to the recipient. To finish, click the Share button. This will send the sharing invitation to the specified recipients.
- You can share multiple credentials and notes at once by clicking the Share button at the top of the window, next to the Add new button. You can select the items you wish to share from both the Passwords and Secure notes tabs. You can use the search bar if necessary, then tick the boxes next to the items you wish to share. The following steps are the same as when you share items one by one: Select the recipients and the level of rights you wish to give them. To finish, click the Share button. This will send the sharing invitation to the specified recipients.
Review shared credentials from other users
If you receive an invitation to share a credential or note from another Dashlane user, you can find this in the notification center, accessible using the bell icon at the top right of the window.
Click the bell icon and you'll see any pending sharing invitations, which you can Accept or Decline. If you accept, the item will then be accessible in your vault with the level of rights that was granted to you.
View sharing permissions
An item that is currently being shared with other Dashlane users will show an icon next to its name that represents two people next to each other. If you click the item and view its details, you'll have access to a Shared access tab at the top of the window. This tab will allow you to view sharing permissions, and edit them if you have full rights.
How to find out how secure your passwords are
By clicking Password Health in the left-hand control panel in the web app, you'll have access to your Password Health Score, the reason why any of your passwords are not secure, and tips on how to improve your security.
Under the "At-risk passwords" section, you can hover over the warning icon to learn more about why Dashlane considers that password to be at risk. Dashlane provides as many details as possible in order to help you make the password secure again. When hovering over a password in the list, you can also either click "Change now" to get instructions on how to change it or click the "Exclude" button at the far right of the window in order to exclude the password from the analysis and score.
At the top right of the "At-risk passwords" section are filters that allow you to show only compromised, reused, weak, or excluded passwords.
For more information on Dashlane's Password health, please read How to use Dashlane to find out how secure you are.
How to use Dark Web Monitoring
The Dark Web Monitoring feature is available for Premium Dashlane users. See the following article for more information on How to set up and use Dark Web Monitoring.
How to manually generate a customized random password
Click the Dashlane icon in your browser to open the extension. There, the Generator tab allows you to generate strong passwords at any time you want. You can choose the desired length of the password, whether it will contain letters, numbers, or symbols, and if you wish to avoid using characters that resemble each other such as "i" or "l".
You can generate a new password by clicking the circling arrows icon to the upper-right.
If you change the generator settings, you can then save them by clicking the Save as default button at the bottom of the window. That way, all of the passwords generated in this tab or directly on webpages will take these same settings by default.
The Show history button will allow you to retrieve the passwords that were generated. This can be useful in case the generated password was not saved under the corresponding credential in Dashlane.
How to access the web app and manage your Dashlane account
Though most of the key features of Dashlane are available directly by clicking on the Dashlane icon in your browser, the web app interface allows you to perform a wider set of actions.
How to access the web app
There are currently three different ways of accessing the web app.
- The first and the most direct way is to go to https://app.dashlane.com/login, once your extension is installed and properly set up. Note that this url is still accessible if the extension is not set up but it will open a version of the web app that has fewer features and does not allow autofill.
- Log in to Dashlane in the extension and click on the three dots icon at the top-right of the window and click Open the app.
- The third way is when you're editing a credential. In the Vault tab of the extension, click the credential and then click the pencil icon at the top left of the window. This will take you to the web app and show this credential's details.
How to manage your Dashlane account and subscription
If you click on My Account in the bottom left corner of the web app window, you will open a menu on the right-hand side where you can:
- View your account summary, your Dashlane purchase receipts, billing information, and manage your Dashlane Premium subscription
- Manage the list of authorized devices that can access your account, and de-authorize any of them at any time
- View and manage your security settings, specifically the encryption method used for your account
- If you are on Chrome, you can import the passwords that you have stored in the browser
- Manually trigger Sync to ensure that your data is shared across all of your devices
- Visit our website to download the desktop application in order to access features not present in the Standalone extension
- Invite friends from Outlook, Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail and/or share your referral link on Facebook and Twitter (a successful sign up will grant both you and your friend 6 months of Dashlane Premium)
- Visit our Help Center
- Visit our Feedback Portal, where you can leave feature suggestions for our Product team
- View our Terms of Service
- Log out of your account
- View a list of all third party packages used in the Standalone extension along with links to their licenses
The Standalone extension does not currently have the Security Dashboard, the VPN, or the Emergency feature implemented. Locally saved data or data saved within your Wallet (IDs and Receipts sections) also cannot be accessed. Payment methods other than credit cards will not be displayed. If you wish to use these features, please download the desktop application.