Our completely refactored Password Changer is now available to all users on iOS, Android, and in our web app. This overhaul is a foundational first step to making it easier to update your passwords whenever the need arises.
Improved security and reliability
The new Password Changer works locally. In the past, the feature required a connection with Dashlane's servers to change the passwords. But now, Password Changer performs its magic directly between your device and the corresponding websites. So not only is the feature more effective, it's more secure, too!
One of the limitations of our legacy Password Changer was the lack of feedback from websites on why it failed. Failures could be caused by a lack of network connection, having incorrect information saved in Dashlane, or Password Changer otherwise getting blocked at some point in the process. Now, with the addition of contextual error messages, in the (rare) event that Password Changer can’t get the job done, you’ll know why.
Support for 2FA and Captcha
Sometimes changing a password requires adding in a 2FA code (you can store and autofill 2FA codes in Dashlane by the way!) or validating that you’re a human by filling out a Captcha in order to change your password. Now, Password Changer can handle these cases and will ask you directly in the app for your input.
How to use Password Changer
Here's how to use Password Changer on your iOS device:
- Open the Dashlane iOS app
- Access the Tools menu from the bottom of the app, then tap on Password Changer
- Tap the Change button next to the credential(s) you wish to change, or you can tap the Change all button at the bottom of the page to change all of your compatible passwords at once
You can also easily change your passwords from within your Vault by opening a compatible password that you wish to change, and clicking on Change password underneath "Password Strength."
This can also come in handy when you access your Identity Dashboard. For any compatible passwords that are marked as unsafe, you can tap to open them and click on Change password to strengthen that password.
Here's how you can use the Password Changer on your Android device:
- Open Dashlane on your Android device
- Tap on the menu button in the top left corner of the app and then tap on Password Changer
- Tap the Change button next to the credential you wish to change, or you can tap the Change All button in the bottom right corner to change all of your compatible passwords at once
- Once the change is complete you can tap on the credential and select Test Password to give your new password a try
You can also easily change your passwords from within your Vault by opening a compatible password that you wish to change, and clicking on Change next to "Password safety."
This can also come in handy when you access your Password Health menu. For any compatible passwords that are marked as unsafe, you can tap to open them and click on Change to strengthen the password.
Password Changer didn't work
In the event that the Password Changer wasn't able to change your password, you may see one of the following error messages:
- No network - please ensure that your device is connected to the internet and try running the Password Changer again.
- We couldn't log in - double check that the user name, password, and URL for the credential are correct and try again.
- This password wasn't changed - this could indicate several different issues (your internet connection was temporarily lost, there was an issue with your browser, etc.). Try again, and if the issues persists, please contact our Support via chat or send us an email.
What's coming next?
We’re constantly exploring how to consistently add new compatible websites, the ways business users can get the most out of this feature, and the situations when Password Changer is most valuable to you—whether in response to a breach or revoking shared access. In short? This is just the beginning.