Our completely refactored Password Changer is now available in our web app, as well as on iOS and Android. This overhaul is a foundational first step to making it easier to update your passwords whenever the need arises.
Note: Password Changer is a paid Dashlane feature. If you currently have a free plan, you will first need to upgrade to one of our paid plans, such as Essentials or Premium, before you can use this feature.
Improved security and reliability
The new Password Changer works locally. In the past, the feature required a connection with Dashlane's servers to change the passwords. But now, Password Changer performs its magic directly between your device and the corresponding websites. So not only is the feature more effective, it's more secure, too!
One of the limitations of our legacy Password Changer was the lack of feedback from websites on why it failed. Failures could be caused by a lack of network connection, having incorrect information saved in Dashlane, or Password Changer otherwise getting blocked at some point in the process. Now, with the addition of contextual error messages, in the (rare) event that Password Changer can’t get the job done, you’ll know why.
Support for 2FA and Captcha
Sometimes changing a password requires adding in a 2FA code (you can store and autofill 2FA codes in Dashlane by the way!) or validating that you’re a human by filling out a Captcha in order to change your password. Now, Password Changer can handle these cases and will ask you directly in the app for your input.
How to use Password Changer in the web app
- Open the web app by clicking on the extension icon (the "Dashlane D") in your browser's toolbar. In the popover that appears, click Open the web app at the bottom of the window.
- Once the web app is open, click the Password Changer button at the top of the page.
- By default, all compatible credentials will be selected to be changed, and you can click Change all to change them all at once.
- If you only want to change some passwords, you can uncheck the box to the left of each unwanted credential, or you can click Unselect all. Once you've selected the password(s) you want to change, click on Change to start the process.
- When the Password Changer is done, a status message should appear at the bottom of the web app. In the event that the Password Changer isn't able to change one or more of the passwords, you can click on View details button in this message for more information on why the process failed.
You can also easily change your passwords from within your Passwords vault. Simply open a compatible password that you wish to change directly in your vault, hover your cursor over the password and click the Change button that appears to the right of the credential.
This can also come in handy when you access your Password Health menu. For any unsafe passwords that are compatible, a Change password button will appear when you hover over the credential with your cursor. Click on this button, and the Password Changer will automatically strengthen the password for you!
Password Changer didn't work
In the event that the Password Changer wasn't able to change your password, you may see one of the following error messages:
- No network - please ensure that your device is connected to the internet and try running the Password Changer again.
- We couldn't log in - double check that the user name, password, and URL for the credential are correct and try again.
- This password wasn't changed - this could indicate several different issues (your internet connection was temporarily lost, there was an issue with your browser, etc.). Try again, and if the issue persists, please contact our Support via chat or send us an email.
What's coming next?
We’re constantly exploring how to consistently add new compatible websites, the ways business users can get the most out of this feature, and the situations when Password Changer is most valuable to you—whether in response to a breach or revoking shared access. In short? This is just the beginning.