VPN Frequently Asked Questions
If the issue you have is not addressed below, please contact User Support.
- 1. What information is tracked by the VPN?
- 2. Can I choose the server location?
- 3. Can I use the VPN for peer-to-peer sharing?
- 4. What happens if my network connection is interrupted?
- 5. If I leave my current WiFi area, will the VPN connect to another network automatically?
- 6. What happens to the VPN connection if my device goes to sleep?
- 7. If I close or log out of Dashlane, will the VPN disconnect?
- 8. Will my VPN connection ever time out?
- 9. Will the VPN slow down my internet connection?
- 10. Does the VPN have data bandwidth-usage limit?
- 11. How do I confirm the VPN is connected on desktop?
- 12. On how many devices can I connect my VPN?
- 13. When I connect the VPN, does it connect on all my devices at the same time?
- 14. Are there any special system requirements to use the VPN?
- 15. Does Dashlane use a third party provider?
- 16. I'm using free Premium, can I use the VPN?
- 17. As a Dashlane Business user, do I get to use the VPN?
1. What information is tracked or logged by the VPN?
The only information tracked is technical information related to your VPN connection, in order to maintain performance and stability.
No history is kept of your browsing through the VPN. Additionally, Dashlane provides no identifiable information about our users to AnchorFree, the providers of the technology behind our VPN.
AnchorFree does not collect or retain any personal information from Dashlane’s users, and therefore does not share any such data with third parties. Furthermore, AnchorFree serves no advertisements and does not provide any advertising SDKs to its partners' applications.
2. Can I choose the server location?
No. When you connect to the VPN, you will automatically be connected to the server nearest to you, often within the country you’re in.
3. Can I use the VPN for peer-to-peer sharing?
Yes, though port forwarding is not supported by our VPN.
4. What happens if my network connection is interrupted?
If you are on Windows, Mac, or iOS, when you lose your network connection, the VPN will disconnect and will not automatically reconnect. On Android devices, the VPN will automatically reconnect as soon as an available network is located.
5. If I leave my current WiFi area, will the VPN connect to another network automatically?
No. If your network connection is lost, the VPN will disconnect. It will not automatically connect to another network.
6. What happens to the VPN connection if my device goes to sleep?
Nothing. If the device goes to sleep, the VPN will not be disconnected.
7. If I close or log out of Dashlane, will the VPN disconnect?
The VPN will not disconnect if you close Dashlane. However, depending on your platform, the VPN will disconnect if you log out of Dashlane. Remember that you may be logged out if you force-quit the application on desktop.
8. Will my VPN connection ever time out?
Yes. Any given VPN connection will not last more than 24 hours.
9. Will the VPN slow down my internet connection?
Dashlane's VPN, like any VPN, may in some cases slow your internet connection. Several factors impact speed on the Internet when connecting through a VPN. For example:
- Connection traffic and stability
- Computer security settings and antivirus software
- The distance between you and the VPN servers
- Data encryption and decryption rate on your device
10. Does the VPN have a data bandwidth-usage limit?
No. There is no data bandwidth-usage limit when using the VPN.
11. How do I confirm the VPN is connected on desktop?
You can see the VPN's connection status by going to the VPN menu in your Dashlane application, where you will be able to see if your VPN is connected and for how long.
On Mac, the VPN option appears in the application menu at the top of your screen.
On Windows, the VPN option appears in the menu bar at the top of the application window.
12. On how many devices can I connect my VPN?
There is no limit to the number of devices on which you can connect the VPN.
13. When I connect the VPN, does it connect on all my devices at the same time?
No. The VPN connection is made individually on each device. For every device on which you wish to use the VPN, you must set up and connect/disconnect independently.
14. Are there any special system requirements to use the VPN?
No. The VPN has the same system requirements as the Dashlane application.
15. Does Dashlane use a third party provider?
Dashlane uses the Hotspot Shield technology to power the VPN. This means that your encrypted internet traffic is routed through servers hosted by our partner, AnchorFree (provider of Hotspot Shield).
The VPN protocols used depend on your platform. On Android and Windows, the VPN protocol used is OpenVPN, an open source protocol. On Mac, the protocol used is IPSec, an open standard protocol. And on iOS, the protocol used is Catapult Hydra, a proprietary protocol developed by AnchorFree. For more info see here.
16. I'm using free Premium, can I use the VPN?
The VPN is a Premium feature, with payment required to activate unlimited data usage within the feature. As such, VPN is not available to free Premium or Premium Trial users.
17. As a Dashlane Business user, do I get to use the VPN?
The VPN feature is currently unavailable for Dashlane Business users. It is currently only available as part of Dashlane Premium.
Because there is a cost associated with passing unlimited data through Dashlane's VPN, and since we do not yet have an administrator-friendly way to deploy VPN in businesses, we have not expanded this particular feature to our entire customer base.
If you're a Dashlane Business customer and the VPN is of interest to you, please do let us know.