You can quickly unlock Dashlane without having to type your Master Password. This article explains how to enable biometric authentication or a PIN code for selected Android devices.
- How it works
- How to enable the feature
- How to use the feature
- Make sure your device supports biometric authentication. Note that though some Android devices support face recognition, this was disabled for Dashlane on Android 12 and below because the feature didn’t meet our security requirements. Similarly, we do not support the fingerprint recognition feature available on older Samsung devices.
- Make sure that you're running the most recent version of Dashlane for your device. Check to see if there's an update available on the Play Store.
- Make sure that your device itself uses a lock-screen (PIN or fingerprint) to be able to enable Dashlane's biometric authentication.
How it works
Biometric authentication allows you to unlock your device and its apps. Instead of entering your PIN—or your Master Password if you did not enable PIN protection—to unlock Dashlane, Dashlane can read your biometrics and unlock the app.
After restarting your device, you'll still be prompted to enter your Master Password to open Dashlane and decrypt your data. In addition, you'll also be asked to enter your Master Password from time to time as a security measure—and to make sure that you remember it!
Whenever a new fingerprint is added to the biometrics settings on your device, this automatically disables the biometric lock feature in Dashlane. You will have to enter your Master Password at your next login and re-enable the feature. This is done to ensure the security of your Dashlane account.
If you're a Dashlane Business user with single sign-on (SSO) enabled, you'll be asked to use SSO instead of your Master Password to log in to your account.
How to enable the feature
Enable biometrics in the Android settings
To enable the feature in Dashlane, first enable it in the Android settings of your device. To do so, please follow the instructions below to locate the setting:
- Open your phone's Settings and locate the security or biometrics menu.
- From this menu, set your biometrics preferences to fingerprint.
Note: Dashlane only supports biometric authentication via fingerprint.
Enable Biometric Lock in the Dashlane application
- From the main Dashlane menu, tap Settings.
- Go to the Security menu and slide the toggle to turn on Biometric unlock.
Then follow the tutorial to enable the feature.
If you have any problems enabling it, complete the following steps:
- Turn off Biometric unlock in Dashlane.
- Disable and re-enable the feature in your Android settings.
- Make sure that the PIN code lock is turned off in the Dashlane settings.
- Turn on Biometric unlock again in Dashlane.
How to use the feature
Once biometric authentication has been set up, you can use it instead of entering your Master Password when unlocking the app.
Note that the login screen will differ depending on which biometrics you're using.
If biometric authentication fails to recognize your set biometrics, you'll be asked to try again. After three unsuccessful attempts, you will need to enter your Master Password.
When you launch Dashlane on your Android device, you're asked to enter your Master Password. Without it, the app cannot decrypt your data. Then, once the app is up and running, every time you use the app, you'll need to enter your Master Password again.
You can set up a PIN code to unlock Dashlane instead of needing to type your Master Password every time you open the app.
Keep in mind that we discourage you from doing so because a PIN is necessarily less secure than your Master Password. And if your device has biometrics capability, we recommend that you use the Biometric Unlock feature.
How to set up a PIN code
- From the main menu, tap on Settings at the bottom of the page.
- Go to the Security menu and slide the toggle to turn on the PIN code lock.
- Choose a four-digit number to use as your PIN code and confirm it on the next screen.
Remember that you'll still have to enter your Master Password instead of your PIN code periodically for security reasons when signing in to your Dashlane account.
If you forgot your PIN, don't panic. Enter a false PIN three times, and Dashlane will ask you for your Master Password to unlock the application. You will also be able to disable/enable the PIN again to choose another code.
Why do I still need to enter my Master Password?
When you open Dashlane, you always need to enter your Master Password to launch the app. This is because it is required to decrypt your data. Your Master Password is neither stored in the application nor on our servers, which means that the only way to access your data is to enter your Master Password.
But once you've logged in, you can set up a PIN code so that you don't need to enter your Master Password every time you open the app.
Note that if you're a Dashlane Business user with single sign-on (SSO) enabled, the above does not apply to you as you are not using a Master Password.
About the Auto-lock and Lock on exit settings
You can set a timer for your app to lock automatically after a certain period of inactivity. This is especially useful if your phone is stolen and you want to make sure no one can access your data. You can choose a time between 10 seconds and 15 minutes. After this period of time, you'll be prompted to log in again.
You could also disable the auto-lock by selecting Never, but we strongly advise against using this setting.
Lock on exit
If you've enabled this feature, the app will automatically lock whenever you leave it (when going back to the home screen on Android, switching between apps, or locking the screen) and require that you authenticate to unlock it. We recommend that you keep this setting on for more security.
You can find these two features in the Security menu under Auto-lock time.