To start using Premium Family you first need to create a Dashlane account.
For our Business users, Premium family will be available for free.
If you already have a Dashlane subscription and need some information on how to change your plan or/and billing cycle to Premium Family or simply are a free user who would like to upgrade to Premium Family, you can take a look at our dedicated article here: How to change my Dashlane plan and/or my billing cycle.
If any other question you might have is not answered below, or if you are trying to leave an existing family plan, please contact User Support.
Please note that Dashlane no longer sells Premium Plus and Premium Plus Family plans. We’re simplifying our plans to focus on the features shared by all of our users. If you already have a Premium Plus or Premium Plus Family plan, you will keep your current plan and its additional security features. Simply, we are no longer accepting new Premium Plus and Premium Plus Family plans.
- I have Dashlane Free or have been granted free Premium from a referral. What happens when I purchase a family plan?
- I have a Premium or Premium Plus account. What happens when I purchase or join a family plan?
- I'm a business user. What happens when I purchase or join a family plan?
- Can I get a prorated discount when I upgrade to a family plan?
- Are there any special requirements to be part of a family plan?
- How many people can be part of a family plan?
- Can I re-invite a person that was previously removed from my plan?
- How many administrators can there be in a family plan?
- Can I promote someone else to be my plan's admin?
- Can I use my current Master Password to access my Family Dashboard?
- How much storage do I have in my family plan?
- Are there parental controls for other family members?
- Does my data get mixed in with the data from other members?
- Are the contents of my vault still private if I'm part of a family plan?
- Is the VPN feature included in a family plan?
- Will I keep my data if I am removed from a family plan?
- If I have an Emergency contact for my account, will it have access to other family members' data?
I have Dashlane Free or have been granted free Premium from a referral. What happens when I buy or join a family plan?
Buying Premium Family automatically elevates your account to Premium, and allows you to invite up to five friends or family members to also benefit from Dashlane Premium.
Joining a family plan elevates your account to Premium. As part of the plan, you can enjoy all of Dashlane's Premium features.
If you accept an invitation to join an existing family plan, your current subscription will be paused, and when the family plan ends or is canceled, your prior Premium or Premium Plus subscription will resume. If you had a free account, your account will get back to a free status.
If you buy a family plan, depending on your current subscription and platform, you will either be offered a prorated price, or you will have to wait until the end of your current billing cycle for your account to be upgraded.
For more detailed information on how to change your plan to Premium Family you can take a look at our dedicated article here: How to change my Dashlane plan or billing period.
Members of Dashlane Business plans receive free family plans. If you are a Dashlane Team member and purchase a family plan, it runs in parallel with your currently active business subscription.
Remember that all Dashlane accounts in a family plan are individual and have no connection between them, so no connection with your business account.
If your business plan ends, your account and all users included in the plan will revert to their previous subscription status—Free, (individual) Premium or Premium Plus.
For more information on how to activate Premium Family on a business plan visit Getting Premium Family with Dashlane Business.
When you are upgrading to a Premium Family plan, depending on your current subscription and where you purchased it from, you may benefit from a discount based on the amount of time remaining on your paid subscription. To know if a discount applies to you, make sure to have a look at our interactive guide: How to change my Dashlane plan or my billing period.
The prices for our plans vary depending on your region, but the maximum discount you can receive is equal to two-thirds of the purchase price.
Note, however, that there are exceptions for users buying their family plan through the iOS App Store and the Google Play store:
- If you bought your existing subscription somewhere other than on these app stores, but then purchase your family plan on them, you can not receive a discount.
- If you bought both your existing subscription and your family plan through one of these app stores and a prorated discount is applicable, instead of a discount you will receive an equivalent reimbursement directly from Apple or Google.
Note that the family plan is currently not available on the Mac App Store.
Here is an example of how we calculate the discount:
John is upgrading from Premium to Premium Family, and the original value of his annual plan is $59.99.
Each month left from his original plan is therefore worth $5. If John had 4 months of Premium remaining, it means that his discount is $5 x 4, or $20.
Are there any special requirements to be part of a family plan?
No, there are no special requirements to get Premium Family. If you can get Dashlane, you can purchase or join a family plan.
Note however that you cannot purchase or join a new family plan if you are already part of an existing one.
Premium Family provides Premium to up to six users, including the account serving as the family's admin. A family plan is a good deal even at just two members, so couples or small families shouldn't hesitate to sign up!
Yes. All you need to do is to send that person the new invitation URL. You can find the invitation URL on your Family Dashboard.
A Premium Family account can have only one administrator.
Currently, the person who purchases the family plan is made an admin of that plan. For now, there is no possibility to change the current admin without canceling the plan entirely.
Yes. As the admin, the Family Dashboard is linked to your current account. To access your Family Dashboard, simply login to your Dashlane account on the web app by clicking here.
Each user added to a family plan has the same storage as does a regular Premium user: 5 GB of storage available for storing items in the cloud, and unlimited password and data storage.
No, for now, this option is not available.
Absolutely not. Your data is not mixed or merged with other members' data, or shared in any way. Like any other Dashlane Premium account, your data remains yours and yours only.
Yes, all the accounts in a family plan are independent. Even though a user is part of your family, you will not have access to the contents of their account.
Yes. Each family member has full, individual access to all Premium features, including the VPN. For more information on how to set up and use our VPN, go here.
Yes, your data is always linked to your account and visible only to you. When you leave a family plan, this doesn't change.
If I have an Emergency contact for my account, will the emergency contact also have access to other family members' data?
No. Your Emergency contact is always linked only to your specific account. And all the accounts in a family plan are independent.